Taken from Wikipedia
For some Native American tribes they represent swiftness and activity, and for the Navajo they symbolize pure water. Dragonflies are a common motif in Zuni pottery; stylized as a double-barred cross, they appear in Hopi rock art and onPueblo necklaces. It is said in some Native American beliefs that dragonflies are a symbol of renewal after a time of great hardship.
In Japan dragonflies are symbols of courage, strength, and happiness, and they often appear in art and literature, especially haiku. In ancient mythology, Japan was known as Akitsushima, which means “Land of the Dragonflies”. The love for dragonflies is reflected by the fact that there are traditional names for almost all of the 200 species of dragonflies found in and around Japan. Japanese children catch large dragonflies as a game, using a hair with a small pebble tied to each end, which they throw into the air. The dragonfly mistakes the pebbles for prey, gets tangled in the hair, and is dragged to the ground by the weight.
Also, in Japan, amongst the Three Great Spears of Japan is one which is called the Tonbogiri, which when translated is called ‘The Dragon Fly Cutter’. The spear is an important part of Japan’s imperial regalia – the spear itself was once wielded by the legendary Samurai, Honda Tadakatsu. It’s name is derived from the story that the blade is so sharp, a dragonfly once landed on it and was instantly cut in half.
With that we started a new chapter in The Old School’s guild with a merger of Dark Eternal’s core members lastnight and hopefully a smooth transition for all but really what could be difficult? We all want to enjoy our game time in WoW, experience new areas and explore, level up our respective characters, attempt to upgrade as best we can our gear and have FUN.
I’ve updated our Guild Rules page as well as the Guild Ranks. Our forums isn’t used too much so I will leave that as is for now. Here are the highlights of our meeting last night in South Shore.
- Ranks of DE’s will be the same as before and we ranked everyone up last night.
- Guild Bank will be open to all except the “Raid” tab of which will be used by our top ranked officers/raiders.
- I asked everyone to download “Group Calendar” as this will be the primary way of scheduling raids and events. Please download it this week.
- We will have open recruiting to bring our numbers up but please use your judgement on the type of players we are needing. Ask yourself “Do I want to spend the next 4-6 hours in Kara with this person?” Once we have “X” amount of members we will have “Officer Only” recruiting.
- With open recruiting we will require one or more of our guild mates to run several instances or quests to see if there is a fit with our guild and vice versa.
- Kara Runs will initially be ONE group until we have enough for TWO full groups. Schedules for that are TBD but tentatively we are set with Tues Nights and Fri Nights, maybe Saturdays. We’ll get a consensus soon.