Alterac Valley used to be a ‘bad’ word just a year ago. No one I knew personally would ever queue up for it since the “Horde” seemed to always have a distinct advantage. For the laymen Alterac Valley (AV) is a Battleground (BG) in WoW. Quoting from WoWWiki:
Alterac Valley is a battleground in the continuing war between theHorde and the Alliance. The two opposing sides are the Frostwolf Clan(led by General Drek’Thar) and the Stormpike Guard (also known as the Stormpike Expedition, led by General Vanndar Stormpike), both of whom lay claim to this secluded territory. Alongside the Generals are their two Captains, Captain Galvangar and Captain Balinda Stonehearth, respectively. Aside from Lake Wintergrasp, Alterac Valley is generally considered to be the battleground that delivers the most Honor points per battle.
Along with over view:
The goal of Alterac Valley is to reduce the opposing faction’s reinforcement count to 0. Each team starts with 600 reinforcements. There are a number of ways to reduce reinforcements, named below, but killing the enemy General does it instantly.
- The enemy Captain can be killed. This will award your entire team bonus honor and reduce the enemy reinforcements by 100.
- The enemy towers/bunkers can be burned. This awards your team bonus honor, and reduces the enemy reinforcements by 75 per tower. There are four towers per side, for a total of 300 reinforcements. These structures are also important because, if they are lost, your team loses the respective Warmaster (H)/ Marshall (A).
- Enemy graveyards can be captured, giving your team another place to resurrect. Note that each team controls one uncapturable graveyard, their starting cave.
- Your three Wing Commanders (held in enemy territory) can be freed and sent running home. They award your team bonus honor and offer a turn-in quest once they reach your home base. – Note: “Secondary Objectives” on the in-game scoreboard refer to Wing Commanders and nothing else.
- The two mines can be captured by eliminating the enemy boss in the mine. A mine gives back one reinforcement every 45 seconds. – Note: this is merely a token gain, as reinforcements are usually lost at 10-20 times that rate.
- Collecting supplies to turn in. See: Battle Quests.
- Killing enemy players. This will reduce enemy reinforcement by one per player killed.
Currently the fastest way to win AV is to go directly to the opposing sides Graveyard. In the alliance side it’s the “Relief Hut”.
“On some servers, this has led to a strategy that is known as “the race” or “the zerg”. In this strategy, both sides bypass the main enemy group and rush the graveyard nearest the enemy base, quickly clear the two bunkers in the base, pull the Marshals, and then pull the General. Each side may also kill the opposing captain and claim a mine or easy Graveyard on the way, but the goal is still to rush the General without directly engaging players of the opposing faction. This leads to a faster-paced game which can be easily won or easily lost, providing more honor and AV tokens per hour than protracted games with the same win rate.
The safest route is to leave some defenders to at least slow the opposing team’s attack, but to still maintain an overpowering offense; to give up some ground, but not too much. The way some do it is to run most of a faction as fast as possible to the enemy base and then some of the team will use their recall to go on the defense team and slow the progress of the enemy. This provides enough time to let one side win while the other is held up by the defense.”
The leading strat to impede the Alliance is to put 1/2 dozen inside Galv’s little house of Horrors. If you couple this with someone grabbing the Frost Wings Graveyard (FWGY) and you bumble killing Galv in short order…or god forbid you wipe then a Turtle happens. If that happens you are in for a 20-40 min battle of boring honor killing. At this point I think if I /afk out and have to wait 15 mins for the penalty is worth it or will this end in less than 15 mins I will at least get kills, honor and a token.
Main thing about AV is- go with the main core group. Do what they do. If you get caught behind the lines simply go back to the home base and wait, guard, cap an recap Alliance Towers, hand in scraps and medals for honor.